Friday, September 12, 2008

Bringing Work Home

Wonderful times with great volunteers-
I have heard countless times in various phases of my career building, "never bring your work home with you." Or, "you've got to leave those feelings at your desk and return to them during the week." But, what i've found working in the Volunteer Program is that it is healthy and rewarding to carry my experiences around with me, to keep them tied in a bow in my imaginary feel good pile so that i am able to sift through them throughout my days and step further with a smile. Lastly, how lucky and grateful i am for the opportunity to spend time with such amazing people doing work that i love.

I am thinking now of two projects this summer that helped remind me of how wonderful and true human kind can be. When i returned from these long trips, I felt total inspiration, reward, and instant gratification for the work we are accomplishing on the Kaibab Plateau. The first group to be recognized is Noble Street Prep from Chicago. These high school students applied, raised money, and made it possible on their own to venture to the Southwest and donate their time volunteering. The majority of the students had never left the city, nor been in a camp setting before. Finally, most of the students had never met one another. So for 12 days we spent time listening to bird calls, smelling the intricacies of the Kaibab National Forest, counting the millions of stars in the night sky, and identifying the vast amount of plants and animals of the region all while working 10 hour days repairing fencing inclosures, painting buildings, obtaining overstory data, and collecting lupine and grass seeds on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. These students stirred in me all over again a passion for conservation, for creating a sustainable environment for future generations, for never giving up. I was inspired and in awe of these young, courageous individuals who saw no boundaries, who allowed me to see each moment for the first time as if it were my first day on the job.

The second group of volunteers were generations apart from our Noble Street Prep volunteers. In mid August, we were joined by the Sierra Club ranging in ages from 45 to 81 years. This wonderful, experienced group of avid hikers and "doers" helped us with infrastructure improvements and the collection of overstory data. The work accomplished was top notch and each volunteer added expertise to an already intriguing day in the field. I want to share a moment spent on the porch after a day of hiking, driving, navigating, counting, measuring, and overall working hard. The sun was shining down onto the wooden covered porch in the front of Mangum Camp. There were nalgenes and snacks spread about, the buzzing of bees and humming birds in the background. While crazy creeks rocked, cards were delt, books were read, and war stories from WWII to the present were being told. During this moment, my pen rested on my journal which rested on my lap unnoticed. The world seemed to stop and allowed us a moment of absolute realness. I felt as if, in that hour, everything made sense, and everything that was meant to be was being.


Thank you to two groups of volunteers that inspired so much growth, creativity, and energy. You all are the backbone of our organization. Thank you for genuinely influencing me. Our work will truly influence the great landscape of the Kaibab Plateau for many years to come.

Lauren










No comments: